Disappointing finale, quiet DVD Saturday night, and impromptu work

It was quite an eventful week at work. I felt like I did a lot but was not necessarily productive. I had to attend a high level negotiation near the end of the work week. I think I performed pretty well and was in control of the whole meeting from beginning to end. Sometimes I surprise myself by my capacity to deal with situations like this where I am sure some people would feel quite intimidated and freeze; I often surprise myself that I could engage my brain calmly and take control of the situation. I don't think anyone is born with that skill because the more I do it, the more natural it becomes, so it must be a learned skill.

Friday evening

After a lot of running around during the week, I was glad to see Friday evening.

Because we were seeing The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2, everyone decided to come. Also, as it was the first of the movie since it came out, I bought everyone's ticket online before we met up. Just as well, a lot of the seats were already taken but we still managed to snap up some good seats.

The movie was disappointing. There - I said it. I don't whether that was because I had high expectations for it, the pace of the movie was weird. It was as though someone did an awful editing job. There were scenes that were so slow but unnecessary that I willed for them to finish. Meanwhile, the climax of the story was a bit of an anti-climax. The middle bits were gratuitously formula-drive, except that the formula was novel when the first movie came out but the novelty was well and truly worn out by the time this movie came along. Okay, that could be the author's problem but it didn't help the movie. All in all, it was lacklustre and kind of boring. The only twist that interested me was Snow's revelation near the end but what followed was by no means unpredictable. Sorry, not satisfied by this instalment at all.

When I got home, I made the mistake of sitting down at the computer and started doing some work. Truth be told, I was working on a report that was meant to be written by someone else but it's hard to find good help these days, so I basically rewrote it. I finally found myself in bed at about 3 am. 

Saturday

As usual, Sam left early for Kungfu class, so I woke up at 10:30 am and found myself half stuffing around on the computer and doing some work.

It was an exceptionally hot summer day but even so, I got ready and went downstairs to Wilde Kitchen to get lunch. I opted for takeaway because there was nowhere decent to sit inside the cafe these days but for those dreadful high tables and chairs.



I got quite a lot done before Sam got home. I watched lots of movies and YouTube videos as well, waiting for the day to cool down.

In the evening, Sam and I went to Dan Murphy's to pick up a bunch of stuff I bought for Christmas presents, which is something I do every year. It was much better to do it this way, rather than trying to carry boxes of grog under the sun.

When we loaded the boxes in the car, we went to pick up some Chinese takeaway and ate it at home while we watched Insidious: Chapter 3 on the lounge. I managed to write a whole article at work during the movie. Yay, that was my last article for the year!

Sunday

It was meant to be another uneventful day. We got up, had coffee, and I went down to get some takeaway lunch from Wilde Kitchen (there were no decent tables left when I got there). Except that I was being a bit slack and completely forgot that they now had a few dishes that were not completely paleo, so I found myself having to stop eating when I got to the bottom bed of rice! Yes, I am still quite resentful that they did away with the comfy table and chairs in the air con comfort inside but let's not dwell on that. :P



Sam needed to do grocery shopping, so we went to New Farm Coles and bought a bunch of stuff. I thought the rest of the day was going to be nice and quiet but one of my clients texted me to see if she and her husband could catch up, so off I went again at about 5 pm to London Club and had a two hour chat with them about their business. So much for vegging out for the remainder of my weekend!

When I got back up, I decided to have a cheese and cognac dinner (after my clients bought me two glasses downstairs already!). Then the dude who had been texting me and wanting to buy my old Airport Extreme (I inherited a whole lot of them recently from my business partner) said he was close by, so I had to go downstairs again to make the sale.

So much for a quiet Sunday afternoon!

About 4 weeks to go now before we fly over to Europe. As usual, when it was a long time away from the trip, I was longing to go but now that it is upon us, I actually few quite anxious at the thought of leaving the comfort and familiarity of home.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

USA/Canada trip

Verbal acrobatics, group get-together, and thunderstorms

Labour intensive work, BYO lunch, and playing with toddler