Les Miserables, speaking engagement, and attempting to relax
I am buggered. At least I have finished one of the two speaking engagements I have before our European trip. One more to go this Thursday and at least I have less to worry about. No matter how naturally speaking engagements come to me these days, doing presentations sucks up a lot of my energy. Even though I don't really get that nervous beforehand, courtesy of having done heaps of them and lecturing at uni, they still weigh at the back of my mind every time. One more and I am done for the year. Having said that, I am hopeful that the last speaking engagement may bring a few new clients, so let's wait and see.
Friday evening
Rather than the normal movie night, Sam bought me tickets to see Les Miserables in the evening as my early Christmas present. I saw it about 10+ years ago when it came to Brisbane last but I was still very much looking forward to it, seeing that it is one of my all-time favourite musicals.
The evening didn't start off that well because Sam was in a negative mood when we first met up but he quickly tried to tone that down because he wanted me to enjoy the show. And that I did. I was so moved by it. I even teared up a few times. I don't know why but there is something about French history that really resonates with me.

Needless to say, I totally enjoyed the show and, yes, I can easily see it again. I guess if I must be critical, I thought the guy who played Enjolras was a bit off in his singing. He was off quite a few times, which was a little disappointing but I also understand how difficult it must have been trying to run around the stage and sing at the same time. As usual, the actress who played Eponine sang beautifully, so did the girl who played Cosette and the dude who played Marius.
I would love to see the show again, probably in London or New York if they happen to be on when we visit in the future.
Saturday
Sam left for Kungfu class early in the morning but I didn't sleep in all that much because I had a speaking engagement that afternoon down the Gold Coast, so my body woke me up earlier than I normally would on weekends.
I took a shower, made myself look pretty, and went down to Wilde Kitchen for lunch while I worked on a work article. As usual, I was extremely productive and got the whole piece done over lunch. Then I hurried back upstairs, got changed into my work clothes, and drove all the way down the Gold Coast.


I wasn't quite in the state of mind to do a presentation when I walked into the hotel conference room. Thankfully, I got there a bit earlier and had some time to acclimate myself. Once I was on, instinct kicked in and I just delivered what I had to present in the usual fashion.
I got a really good reception from the audience. In fact, they fought over my business cards. I didn't bring enough of them, which was a bit silly of me but by the time I walked out of the room, all my cards were gone, so hopefully I am going to get some clients out of the experience. Just as well, given that I spent 2 hours in the car commuting to the venue - and on the weekend too!
When I got home, Sam was back but was on the phone with his mum. I waited for a while for him to get dinner with me downstairs but I got sick of waiting, so I just went down to get some takeaway fish and salad instead.
The rest of the night was quite eventful as I tried to recharge from expending copious amount of energy connecting with my audience earlier on. It was a full-on day but I also felt quite achieved.
Sunday
I got up at about 9:30 am this morning and did the usual coffee routine with Sam, watching some stupid show on TV together.
I then went down to Wilde Kitchen again to get lunch while I did some work on my lappy. I must admit I had been neglecting some of the emails that were exchanged during the week in relation to the organisation at which I volunteered. I was quite annoyed by the contents of some those exchanges and wished I had looked at them during the week (which was impossible unless I had chosen not to sleep at all!) but I will need to work on these during the week and I anticipate that it wouldn't be a pleasant experience.


When I got home, Sam wanted to go down to do grocery shopping. He wanted to pack 3 weeks of shopping into this single shop to cover the next two weeks before we leave for Europe and the week after we get back in January. Naturally, it turned out to be a huge shop.
When we got home, I tried to relax myself as much as possible, bracing myself for the busyness that is to come in the next fortnight. Thank god for cognac and cheese, I felt quite relaxed and content for the rest of the afternoon.
I then made dinner for us later in the evening - avocado, baby spinach, and cheese omelette. It was divine. We then finished off by having the chocolate cookies I bought from Wilde Kitchen earlier in the day for dessert.
So that was my weekend. It felt very short but I am counting on the upcoming trip to give me a good break. In the meantime, wish me luck for my speaking engagement this Thursday.
Friday evening
Rather than the normal movie night, Sam bought me tickets to see Les Miserables in the evening as my early Christmas present. I saw it about 10+ years ago when it came to Brisbane last but I was still very much looking forward to it, seeing that it is one of my all-time favourite musicals.
The evening didn't start off that well because Sam was in a negative mood when we first met up but he quickly tried to tone that down because he wanted me to enjoy the show. And that I did. I was so moved by it. I even teared up a few times. I don't know why but there is something about French history that really resonates with me.
Needless to say, I totally enjoyed the show and, yes, I can easily see it again. I guess if I must be critical, I thought the guy who played Enjolras was a bit off in his singing. He was off quite a few times, which was a little disappointing but I also understand how difficult it must have been trying to run around the stage and sing at the same time. As usual, the actress who played Eponine sang beautifully, so did the girl who played Cosette and the dude who played Marius.
I would love to see the show again, probably in London or New York if they happen to be on when we visit in the future.
Saturday
Sam left for Kungfu class early in the morning but I didn't sleep in all that much because I had a speaking engagement that afternoon down the Gold Coast, so my body woke me up earlier than I normally would on weekends.
I took a shower, made myself look pretty, and went down to Wilde Kitchen for lunch while I worked on a work article. As usual, I was extremely productive and got the whole piece done over lunch. Then I hurried back upstairs, got changed into my work clothes, and drove all the way down the Gold Coast.
I wasn't quite in the state of mind to do a presentation when I walked into the hotel conference room. Thankfully, I got there a bit earlier and had some time to acclimate myself. Once I was on, instinct kicked in and I just delivered what I had to present in the usual fashion.
I got a really good reception from the audience. In fact, they fought over my business cards. I didn't bring enough of them, which was a bit silly of me but by the time I walked out of the room, all my cards were gone, so hopefully I am going to get some clients out of the experience. Just as well, given that I spent 2 hours in the car commuting to the venue - and on the weekend too!
When I got home, Sam was back but was on the phone with his mum. I waited for a while for him to get dinner with me downstairs but I got sick of waiting, so I just went down to get some takeaway fish and salad instead.
Sunday
I got up at about 9:30 am this morning and did the usual coffee routine with Sam, watching some stupid show on TV together.
I then went down to Wilde Kitchen again to get lunch while I did some work on my lappy. I must admit I had been neglecting some of the emails that were exchanged during the week in relation to the organisation at which I volunteered. I was quite annoyed by the contents of some those exchanges and wished I had looked at them during the week (which was impossible unless I had chosen not to sleep at all!) but I will need to work on these during the week and I anticipate that it wouldn't be a pleasant experience.
I then made dinner for us later in the evening - avocado, baby spinach, and cheese omelette. It was divine. We then finished off by having the chocolate cookies I bought from Wilde Kitchen earlier in the day for dessert.
So that was my weekend. It felt very short but I am counting on the upcoming trip to give me a good break. In the meantime, wish me luck for my speaking engagement this Thursday.
Comments
Post a Comment