Investing in friendship, Christmas function, and chilling to recharge

It was another whirlwind of a week. In between places I had to be and people I had to speak to, I thought about the freedom I felt during our holidays, which provided moments of mental relief. I think I did well where it counted, so I guess that was all that mattered. Life is going to gear up further as lectures are starting in a week's time, so I'd have to be at the best of my game.

Friday evening

Things are getting weird on Friday nights. Iain hadn't been for 3 weeks and it looks as though he is withdrawing from the group even further than last year. It has been disappointing, since we spent so much time helping him out when he broke up with his long time boyfriend last year. We put up with him constantly talking about himself but I think my patience is starting to wear thin. When Sam walked with him one night when we first got back, he didn't even ask him how our trip was, even though we were away for a month.

Sometimes you get to the point when you wonder if investing in the friendship further is worth it. It probably doesn't help when he already isn't speaking with two people in our group over some pretty minor disagreements. On one hand, I am worried that he would find himself without friends before long but on the other hand, I don't know if I want to spend the very little I have investing in a friendship that is lop-sided.

Anyway, there were three of us on Friday night, so we had dinner at Grill'd as usual and loitered around as Sam went to get his massage. I bought a beautiful marble mortar pestle at Oxfam as Ryan and I chatted about various things.

We saw How to Be Single, which was completely inane but it was also kind of funny. Yes, the jokes were a bit crude at times but I didn't find myself offended by them and giggled most of the way through the movie. Surprisingly, there were also moments when it made me think. You don't really expect that from a totally mindless movie. I suppose it means that it must have 'heart' despite the silliness.

I was really glad to get to the end of the week after the relentless day and night work-related activities. As usual, I didn't mind them once I got there and would usually have a good time but dragging myself there when I was already tired was challenging to say the least.

Saturday

I had a good 8 hours sleep but I think at one stage, Sam woke me up. Otherwise, I would have slept on. After our morning kerfuffle, we went down to Wilde Kitchen to get some takeaway lunch because it was so hot. After lunch at home, we came home and chilled. We watched some Netflix together and generally had a pretty relaxing afternoon.

In the evening, I had to go to a work function - it was a belated Christmas catch-up at one of our workmates' place. It was weird because everyone was dreading it but we all went because it wouldn't be a good look not being there. I got picked up by two colleagues and one of them brought their boyfriend along. I didn't bring because of the whole 'most people know I am gay but I don't talk about it' bonanza.

The function was okay - it was hot, noisy, and uncomfortable but I managed to squirm out of a few groups of people with whom I had nothing in common and the conversation was as scintillating as bat shit. In the end, we only stayed there for about 2 hours, which was okay. Having said that, all four of us were more than happy to get out of there. Seriously, I see these people every day and I don't really fancy seeing them on the weekend!

When I got home, Sam and I watched an episode of A Haunting together before we called it a night.

Sunday

This morning was like a repeat as the one yesterday. Sam decided that it was one of those 'I don't want to get out of the apartment' day, so I went downstairs to have lunch by myself while I did some work, which was very productive. It would have been even more productive if I didn't run into a few people I knew, but it was good to say hi to them.



After lunch, I got in the car and drove all the way to Indooroopilly. I went to Bunnings to pick up some new succulents because the existing ones were getting straggly and yellow. Then I went to Graceville to pick up this Georg Jensen carafe I had always wanted but didn't want to pay the retail price of $180. I picked this up brand new in a box today for $70! I also picked up some haloumi because Sam mentioned he would love to have some fried haloumi for dinner.

When I got home, I repotted a few of the succulents. I was quite pleased with the new ones because they were so green and neat looking. I then spent the next hour or so making a few things I needed, including a facial cleanser, shampoo, an eye serum while I watched Netflix. I felt very productive but in a way that was not work related. I then spent the rest of the afternoon sipping cognac and relaxing.

In the evening, Sam cut up the haloumi, so I pan fried it for dinner. We then watched My Kitchen Rules on TV together and we are now chilling and winding down to the end of the weekend in preparation for another intense work week ahead. I hope this week is not going to be as crazy as the last. After all, no matter how much I could handle, I am not a robot.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

USA/Canada trip

Verbal acrobatics, group get-together, and thunderstorms

Labour intensive work, BYO lunch, and playing with toddler