Work distress, speaker stand, and unreal internet speed

I had a harrowing two days of training last week. Without going into details, I was distressed when I came out of it after 5 pm on Friday. The training outcome was basically demanding me to fundamentally change the way I run my business - rather than nurturing a relationship-based business, they wanted me to commoditise and sell. This goes against the grain for me. I felt so distressed that I texted my business partner and left work with a heavy heart.

Friday evening

Since I was still not really speaking with Sam, I texted him and told him I wasn't coming to movie night, not that anyone else was showing up anyway. Ryan and Jacob only just got back from Japan that morning with very little sleep on the plane and Iain was just, well, Iain.

When I got home, Sam was still shopping in the city, so I went downstairs to get some takeaway food for dinner. Then I spent the rest of the night vegging out, trying to unwind from all that had happened.

Saturday

I made plans with Dale to have lunch with him at Wilde Kitchen. To be fair, I did ask Sam if he wanted to come but he didn't, so I went by myself. We ran into C and O while we were there, which was nice. I referred someone to O just the night before by email, so he was very grateful.



Dale and I gas-bagged till the cows come home as usual. Afterwards, he came up to have a look at my new speakers, especially now that I had picked up the custom-made stand for the centre speaker very early on Friday morning. I must admit I am very happy with the whole set up:



I spent the rest of the afternoon not doing much, other than picking up some grog with Sam from Dan Murphys. I had a phone chat with my business partner and another colleague about how I was feeling and they made me feel better. I then spent the rest of the afternoon watching Netflix and sipping cognac.

In the evening, we went over to Andy's to catch up with everyone. We shared travel stories and as Andy was controlling the photos of our trip, it occurred to me for the first time that his experience of our travels was totally different from mine! I guess that's why people are different - we could all be at the same place but are stimulated by totally different things.

On the way home, we went into Shell to pump up the tyres because the low pressure warning night came on earlier in the evening. Didn't look like any of the tyres was punctured. I think the sensor in this car is just more sensitive. We also dropped into IGA to get a few things. It wasn't a bad night all in all.

Sunday

When I got up this morning, I decided that I wanted to maximise our internet speed since we just got hooked up to the NBN during the week. On that note, for anyone out there who is thinking of swapping over, if you are already on cable, there is little point in my view to swap over if you don't buy the 'super fast boost' from Telstra because a cable connection will get you around 30-40 Mbps anyway, which is around the same speed as the standard NBN tier without any speed boost (based on Telstra's NBN plans anyway).

Once I bought the super fast boost, our internet speed rocketed up to 100 Mbps but even so, I found that my power line adapters were not through-putting the speed and had become bottlenecks (in other words, if I plugged anything directly into the modem, I'd get the 100 Mbps but by the time the signal went through the power point adapter to my desktop, I only got up to around 45 Mbps). After some research, I decided to get the D-link AV2 2000 power line adapters first thing after I had had a quick bite at Wilde Kitchen.

Well, I also dropped into work to get a document so I was prepared for a meeting at work the next day. On the way back, I dropped into Harvey Norman to get the new adapters, only that they only had one box (there were two in a box). When I got home, I plugged the adapters in and woosh!!!, my desktop was running at the blistering speed of around 90+ Mbps.

Armed with the empirical confirmation that the new adapters were working perfectly, Sam and I went out to Chermside Shopping Centre to get two more boxes of the adapters from JB Hifi. As a compromise, we dropped into Coles to do our fortnight shopping, which was otherwise known as 'hell' for me.

I couldn't wait to plug all the adapters in when we got home. Everything worked perfectly almost instantly, except for the Airport Time Capsule that sat in the kitchen to back up Sam's computer. For some reason, I couldn't get the Time Capsule to recognise the ethernet connection and join the network directly rather than piggy-backing off another Airport Extreme wirelessly. This was no biggie though - everything is working at blistering speed where it needs to be, so I am not complaining. Knowing me, I will do plenty of research to try and solve this one little irritant in the days to come.



In the meantime, I think I need to speak to the powers to be in relation to the situation at work. I don't know what to expect but I certainly am not buying into what they want me to do.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

USA/Canada trip

Verbal acrobatics, group get-together, and thunderstorms

Labour intensive work, BYO lunch, and playing with toddler