Broken air conditioner, incompetence, and general hotness
The unimaginable has happened - on Saturday afternoon, we noticed that our apartment was a bit muggy. After a bit of stuffing around, we noticed that the air con wasn't blowing out cool air. It was like the fan was on but the condenser was not working at all. Our body corporate looks after the air con but our body corporate manager generally does not work on weekends, so we have to endure two nights of sleeping without air con!
To make things worse, I am currently going through some real challenges at the organisation at which I volunteer. It's mainly to do with people and their personalities (okay, there are some competency issues as well), which is more difficult to deal with than actual 'real' problems, so I am not really enjoying that at the moment.
Last week was very strange anyway because I was out of the office for a large part of two days. Between trying to get the work from my day job done and looking engaged at the strategy workshop and meetings, I felt quite stretched mentally.
Friday evening
By the time Friday evening rolled along, I was still trying to solve a pressing problem, which was exacerbated by the incompetency I referred to above. I texted the boys and asked them to buy my movie ticket. Meanwhile, Sam chimed in and said there was nothing on, which meant there was nothing he wanted to see at the movies. I did want to see London Has Fallen, so thankfully the boys got my ticket.
When I finally took things to as far as I could, I got changed and met up with everyone down at Grill'd. As a surprise, Mark and Sammy turned up - not for the movie but they had dinner with us.

I was still half working during dinner as emails and text messages were still coming through, which wasn't every pleasant.
I did enjoy London Has Fallen, not necessarily because of the movie itself but more because of the scenes with familiar places in London, which was reminiscent of places we visited during our recent trip. The movie itself was okay - it was just a lot of point and shoot, which was to be expected. The story followed where we left off at Olympus Has Fallen. While the premise of the story was interesting enough, there was a whole lot of American-we-are-the-centre-of-the-world bravado, which was accentuated by the fact that their President just wouldn't die despite the odds he was up against. Even so, I needed the mindlessness of the movie to take my mind off things, so I enjoyed it nonetheless.
Saturday
Everything was looking relaxing and rosy on Saturday when we got up. We had our usual morning ritual and the both of us went downstairs for lunch at Wilde Kitchen together. After that, we went to a local church to vote. It was an in-and-out affair and because most people tend to go in the morning, getting there after lunch meant that the queue was not that long. But I will still complain - why on earth do we have to turn up to vote like that in the 21st century???!!!


When we got home, that was when we noticed that the air con wasn't working. For those who know me, not having air con is worse than not having food to eat. We pretty much endured the rest of the day (and thank god for the rain, which cooled things down somewhat) without air con.
We did buy some takeaway Thai downstairs for dinner, in the evening which would have much nicer if we were eating it in air con goodness! Given that I couldn't really function well when I wasn't feeling nice and cool, I ended up playing Civ V and I actually had a great game. I couldn't finish it before going to bed at about 2 am but I was definitely winning the game!
Sunday
We got up at about 9 am and it was miserable without air con. Sam stayed at home but I went down to Wilde Kitchen, which was cooler than being at home! I did some work while I was there and came back to play the rest of the Civ V game I started yesterday.
The rest of the day was pretty miserable too, so much so that I don't even feel like continuing this post, so I am signing off and trying to put water over me to cool off again.
PS A follow-up PS on Monday night - the air con was fixed today. The body corporate manager's son, who was a really nice straight guy, got the air con guys out first thing in the morning. Peace and happiness was restored at home.
To make things worse, I am currently going through some real challenges at the organisation at which I volunteer. It's mainly to do with people and their personalities (okay, there are some competency issues as well), which is more difficult to deal with than actual 'real' problems, so I am not really enjoying that at the moment.
Last week was very strange anyway because I was out of the office for a large part of two days. Between trying to get the work from my day job done and looking engaged at the strategy workshop and meetings, I felt quite stretched mentally.
Friday evening
By the time Friday evening rolled along, I was still trying to solve a pressing problem, which was exacerbated by the incompetency I referred to above. I texted the boys and asked them to buy my movie ticket. Meanwhile, Sam chimed in and said there was nothing on, which meant there was nothing he wanted to see at the movies. I did want to see London Has Fallen, so thankfully the boys got my ticket.
When I finally took things to as far as I could, I got changed and met up with everyone down at Grill'd. As a surprise, Mark and Sammy turned up - not for the movie but they had dinner with us.

I was still half working during dinner as emails and text messages were still coming through, which wasn't every pleasant.
I did enjoy London Has Fallen, not necessarily because of the movie itself but more because of the scenes with familiar places in London, which was reminiscent of places we visited during our recent trip. The movie itself was okay - it was just a lot of point and shoot, which was to be expected. The story followed where we left off at Olympus Has Fallen. While the premise of the story was interesting enough, there was a whole lot of American-we-are-the-centre-of-the-world bravado, which was accentuated by the fact that their President just wouldn't die despite the odds he was up against. Even so, I needed the mindlessness of the movie to take my mind off things, so I enjoyed it nonetheless.
Saturday
Everything was looking relaxing and rosy on Saturday when we got up. We had our usual morning ritual and the both of us went downstairs for lunch at Wilde Kitchen together. After that, we went to a local church to vote. It was an in-and-out affair and because most people tend to go in the morning, getting there after lunch meant that the queue was not that long. But I will still complain - why on earth do we have to turn up to vote like that in the 21st century???!!!
We did buy some takeaway Thai downstairs for dinner, in the evening which would have much nicer if we were eating it in air con goodness! Given that I couldn't really function well when I wasn't feeling nice and cool, I ended up playing Civ V and I actually had a great game. I couldn't finish it before going to bed at about 2 am but I was definitely winning the game!
Sunday
We got up at about 9 am and it was miserable without air con. Sam stayed at home but I went down to Wilde Kitchen, which was cooler than being at home! I did some work while I was there and came back to play the rest of the Civ V game I started yesterday.
The rest of the day was pretty miserable too, so much so that I don't even feel like continuing this post, so I am signing off and trying to put water over me to cool off again.
PS A follow-up PS on Monday night - the air con was fixed today. The body corporate manager's son, who was a really nice straight guy, got the air con guys out first thing in the morning. Peace and happiness was restored at home.

Comments
Post a Comment