Coming out (again), car wash, and Indian get together

The weekend was very relaxing and enjoyable. What the heck, even the work week wasn't too bad last week. I know that also means that work must have been slow, which is a totally different kind of concern, but I am going to enjoy the peace and quiet while I still have it.

I did have a terrible headache all day on Thursday. I somehow managed to work through the day, which included chairing a whole meeting but by the time I got home, I had to lie down because of how bad it was. Thankfully, the headache was gone by the time I got up on Friday.

Also, I had an awkward but wonderful coming out experience with a client. Basically, I really liked this guy, who was not getting on with his family in their family business. Given that the whole family were clients, I tried to be Switzerland and took a neutral ground.

When he and his wife recently bought a new home, I felt a bit sorry for him (because his dad was playing favourites and generally favoured his brother), so I sent them a big bunch of flowers to cheer them up. His wife was delighted and subsequently invited me "and [my] partner" to go over for dinner,  which was a bit awkward.

I wasn't sure if this guy was okay with gay guys, so I was agonising for weeks, trying to work out what to do. Eventually, I had had enough and when we finished our meeting last Thursday, I basically said to him and his wife (I didn't know she was going to turn up), "Guys, this may be a bit awkward but I think I need to have a chat with you about this." I went on to tell them how I had always tried to separate my professional life from my private life but over time, that got difficult because it was too hard to not become friends with my clients, which then meant that I would have to invite them into my private world.

I told them the reason why I was getting a bit anxious was because my partner was male. After I said that, there was a very short pause, before they both smiled widely and me and the wife said, "Eddy, we aren't that kind of people!" Even the guy said, "Eddy, we like you - you are a friend and that's that! We want you to come over for dinner and we want to meet your partner!".

I must admit no matter how many times I do this, it always warms my heart when the reaction to me coming out was so amazing. Interestingly enough, they did say that it had occurred to them that I might be gay. Naturally, when I told this story to my gay friends, they seized the opportunity to joke about how I really couldn't hide it. LOL. Who needs enemies with friends like these???!!!

Friday evening

Sam wasn't feeling well during the day on Friday, so he left work early and got home.

By the end of the day, I messaged everyone on Facebook and said that we probably should just forget about movie night altogether. However, Ryno and Jake really wanted to go and on Sam's encouragement, I went to see 10 Cloverfield Lane with the guys.

It was good that there was an 8:30 pm session, so we didn't have to wander for long after our dinner at Grill'd before the movie started.

I didn't mind the movie. It was a bit strange - sort of like an alien theme and serial killer theme all mushed into one. It was quite well made, which kept my interest up. Also, unlike Cloverfield, it wasn't a first person who was running around with a dodgy camera kind of movie, so it was really good to watch the whole thing without any risk of motion sickness.

Overall, the plot was intriguing. In many ways, it was like a Night Shyamalan movie. You just didn't know what was going to happen next. Eventually, when the twist unfolded, because of how seemingly incompatible the genre of the twist was compared with the rest of the movie, it was difficult to reconcile what we had been watching for the last hour with the ending. I didn't think it was a bad movie - it was just kind of ... weird.

It was good to restart movie night. I hope this will continue.

Saturday

After we got up, had our coffee, and watched an episode of Orange is the New Black, we went down to Wilde Kitchen for lunch. It was good to spend some time with Sam - we really don't get to see each other much during the week (yes, even though we live together!).



After lunch, we took the car to a car wash, which was long overdue. I had to duct tape one of the back sensor though because it was still dislodged from the recent car accident and the car won't be going in for repair until the end of the month.

After a wash, the car was gleaming but Sam found a small scratch on the passenger side. Why can't cars just stay pristine???!!! We then went back to New Farm for our fortnightly grocery shopping trip. It was very boring and I couldn't wait to get home so I could relax and watch a whole bunch of stuff on Netflix and play Civ V.

In the evening, I organised for the boys and us to go to Karma at New Farm for Indian.  We didn't have a good start because the girl who brought the drinks out had problems giving the drinks to the right people (she gave the Bourbon and coke to Andy who ordered a ginger beer!). We worried about what it would be like when the food came out but they surprised us - everything was perfect. We chatted, laughed, and really enjoyed each others' company. Just as well, we hadn't all got together like this for a while.



Annoyingly, it started raining though - I am sure that was because I got the car washed earlier in the day!

Anyway, after we said goodbye to the boys, we picked up some bits and pieces from IGA and headed home. It was a great and relaxing night.

Sunday

I got up close to 10 am this morning. We did our weekend morning ritual but Sam didn't come down with me to Wide Kitchen for lunch. Instead, I had lunch with a colleague who lived close by and because he was a gay guy, our chat always seemed to get back to something gay. LOL.

Truth be told, while it is good that everyone knows where I go to lunch these days and tag along when they feel like it, I miss out on doing work on my lappy when I am alone, which means that I will still have to find some other time to do it. Again, I am not complaining but that is something I have been noticing recently.

After lunch, I came back up and pretty much spent the whole afternoon sipping cognac, stuffing around on the computer, and watching Netflix movies. The weather was weird. It was alternating between rainy and sunny all afternoon but since I was inside, I really didn't care and relaxed as much as I could. It was great.



After ironing for next week, I made dinner for us. I pan fried some steaks (we are still going through the meat from the meat tray we won a few weeks ago) and haloumi and that turned out divine. The rest of the night was uneventful as we both prepared for the start of another work week.

While it has been nice and relaxing, I hope this is not the quiet before the storm.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

USA/Canada trip

Verbal acrobatics, group get-together, and thunderstorms

Labour intensive work, BYO lunch, and playing with toddler