Anzac Day long weekend, shopping bonanza, and productive lunches

Despite this week being a long weekend because of the Anzac Day public holiday, we have had a very docile weekend. To be fair, I had another huge week at work, so by the time Friday evening came along, I was more than happy to stop working for a while. I would have loved to have started 'long weekend mode' earlier on at the lunch my contact took me to earlier on Friday but I still had work to do afterwards, so I couldn't completely lift my foot off the accelerator just yet.

Friday evening

As with most Friday evenings before a long weekend, most of my team was gone while I was still sitting there in my office, trying to get the last of the few things I wanted to finish done. I also managed to duck a work conference in Fiji this year, so the office was quieter than usual.

I left the office at about 6:30 pm and met up with the boys for movie night. After a bout of dinner (we decided not to have dinner at Grill'd for a change!), we went shopping because Ryan and Jake wanted to buy some new bedding and bathroom ware. They almost bought the Alpaca doona we had but as it turned out when we got to the check-out, it was not on special (even though there was a 30% discount sign close by), so they didn't end up getting it (they did afterwards on ebay!).

We saw The Boss together, which was not as funny as I thought it would be. I have come to expect that any movie with Melissa McCarthy in it would be funny but The Boss didn't quite live up to that expectation. In fact, some of the humour was probably too offbeat for it to be funny. Yes, I chuckled a couple of times but as far as my funny bone was concerned, I wasn't tickled that much. The plot was also paper thin. No, I didn't exactly expect a literary classic here but the storyline was flat and unnatural. This movie was definitely not one of Melissa McCathy's her best works.

Saturday

I got up at about 9:30 am, had coffee with Sam, watched a few things on Apple TV with him, and went downstairs for lunch. Sam wanted to come along too, so it was nice spending some time with him.



I wanted to get some new photo frames and there was a Georg Jensen sale at David Jones (okay, I started an online shopping spree the night before, as well as booked our plane ticket and accommodation for our upcoming Melbourne trip in July), so we went to Chermside Shopping Centre to do some shopping. I got a new smart case for my iPad Pro because I really had use for the smart keyboard (I am selling it on Gumtree).

After getting what I needed, as well as four cushion inserts I had been wanting to get for a while, we went to Coles for Sam to get groceries while I had coffee at a nearby cafe. When he was done, we headed home but dropped into Gasworks to get some steaks for the barbecue night at Jake and Ryan's place. Needless to say, Sam came out with many bags all over his arms. I just rolled my eyes as usual.

When we got home, we chilled for a bit before we headed to Capalaba for the barbecue night. As it turned out, there were only a few of us, which was nice because we could really chat then. The steaks we bought were incredible (incidentally, I was the one who cooked everyone's meat) and it was fun chatting and laughing with the boys. Jake and Ryan are just about to renovate their bathroom and toilet. Coupled with the reno they have recently done to their bedrooms, I really hope they have increased the value of the house for quite a bit (they are very good at it).





We dropped Luke home on the way back, which was good though because it gave us a chance to chat with him in the car. I have always liked Luke - he is a lovely and down-to-earth kind of guy. Perhaps he is a bit lost at the moment but I know he will land on both feet.

When we got home, I started putting together the stuff for our tax returns. I don't mind doing it because I tend to be quite organised throughout the year, so getting the stuff together wasn't all that difficult. Once I started, I couldn't really stop, so I went to bed at about 3 am!!!

Sunday



I got up at about 9 am again. I went downstairs by myself to have brunch after coffee and Apple TV with Sam (I achieved quite a bit just working and having lunch at the same time) and then drove to work in the city to do a few things, including finishing up our taxes. The parking was atrocious - who would have thought there were so many people in the city on a Sunday! It was really nice to do work without interruption - I was incredibly productive, even though I was watching Netflix on my iPad. Okay, it probably helped that I went shopping first (for more Georg Jensen photo frames) before starting work.

By about 4:30 pm, I had done everything I needed to do in the office, so I got home, sipped some cognac, and spent the rest of the day and night watching Netflix and stuffing around on the computer. I did take time to do a bit of body exfoliation (I used this coffee grounds exfoliant which had been enriched in some beautiful carrier and essential oils), as well as cutting and trimming all my nails. By the time I was done, my body felt so smooth and clean. I should really treat myself more often!

It was a very uneventful day but it was also extremely productive and relaxing.

Monday

Today was very similar to yesterday but boy do I wish I always have this amount of freedom all the time. We got up, had coffee, watched an episode of Orange is the New Black and I went downstairs to Wilde Kitchen again to get some lunch and to do some work. I managed to finish a work article, reviewed some papers for a meeting on Wednesday, and enjoyed some yummy food all at the same time. I had my headphones with me, so I was literally lost to the world and couldn't hear what was happening around me. It was most laid back.



When I got home, I pretty much just chilled and vegged out over a glass (or two ... or three) of cognac. I watched a number of Netflix movies and generally just stuffed around in the apartment.

I guess I'd better start ironing for next week soon, even though it is only going to be a short week. Despite how laid back I have been this weekend, I did achieve quite a bit on a few fronts. I feel a tad guilty for not having as much fun as I wanted but Dale and I are planning to go out this coming Sunday night because Monday is another public holiday, so I am looking forward to that.

 I am trying not to get too excited though because you never know with Dale; I am half expecting that he would call up during the week to say he decided not to go any more but I will cross that bridge if I have to but I could really do with a mild bender of a night out and some boogeyng on the dance floor.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

USA/Canada trip

Verbal acrobatics, group get-together, and thunderstorms

Labour intensive work, BYO lunch, and playing with toddler