Iain's surprise appearance, dinner with clients, and glacial pace movie
Last week was hectic but not necessarily productive again. I felt myself running around and exhausting myself without actually achieving many chargeable hours. I did quote on a few jobs though and I think at least one of them was accepted, so that was great. Not so great for this year's budget but at least I know there will be new fees coming in next year.
By Friday, I was exhausted. Even so, after lunch with a workmate and then rushing to another meeting, only to realise that it was somewhere else (not my fault!), then having to come back and caught up with another ex-workmate for drinks, I was more than happy to bid farewell to the work week.
Friday evening
We had movie night as usual on Friday night and to my astonishment, Iain came!!! He did say that he is frantically trying to save up for his own place, so he will only come every now and then from now on, which is better than nothing. We decided to see Allegiant but Sam wasn't excited about that, so he went home while the four of us went on to see the movie.

Allegiant was pretty good, although I forgot where we were up to in the last movie. This one was interesting in the sense that all the other movies were about Tris and her gang trying to get out of the Chicago. Spoiler warning before you go on!!! This one was about them finally getting out, only to find that life beyond the wall was not what they had expected, so they ended up wanting to go back into Chicago! The story line was probably more fragmented than I liked and I found myself mixing up this series with the Maze Runner series because they were based on the same premise. In the end, it was entertaining enough and there were plenty of subtexts that provoked thoughts and parallels. I can't wait to see the final movie.
Saturday
Saturday was quite uneventful. I got up, had coffee with Sam, watched If You Are The One with him for a while, and went downstairs for lunch. As usual, I got a lot of work done while I was down there by myself.


The rest of the day was filled with Netflix movies and documentaries.
In the evening, we went to Hatch and Co to have dinner with some clients/friends. Regardless of how hard I have always tried to separate my professional and personal life, it is getting increasingly difficult to not become friends with some of my clients.
B and P are a bit older than us but it was fun to have dinner with them. They are very well travelled and it was fun listening to their stories and the way they verbally fought like an old married couple ... hang on, they are an old married couple. LOL. Sam is very fond of them as well. We had a great night with great food and great company. What more could you ask?
Sunday
Today was just as uneventful, albeit because I had done so much work the day before, I didn't have as much to do today. As usual, we had coffee together, watched an episode of If You Are the One and Orange is the New Black, before I went down to Wilde Kitchen for lunch.


When I got back, I quickly did a few chores, including ironing my shirts for the week, because Sam wanted to see The Witch at Dendy at Portside. I quite like Dendy, especially on Sunday afternoon when there were hardly anyone around.



As for the movie - well, let's say it was not amazing. Look, I understand the cinematic value of the movie - the ambience was well devised and executed but it was just so bloody slow! The glacial pace was giving me the yawns and disappointingly, you never really get to see the witch for long. It was all very arty and brooding but I think I am far too conditioned by Hollywood to want to see action and a quickly developing story line, together with sensational visual effects. Let's just say The Witch didn't really have much of those. In fact, there were times when I had to listen carefully to understand what the characters were saying because they all used old language like 'thou' and 'thee'. This one won't be in my Bluray collection.
So that was our weekend. It was good to finally spend some time alone with the boy, which seems like a rare occurrence these days. The good thing is both of us make an effort to do so, which is pretty good after having been together for 11 years.
Anyway, time to sign out. My diary looks horrific tomorrow. Eeek.
By Friday, I was exhausted. Even so, after lunch with a workmate and then rushing to another meeting, only to realise that it was somewhere else (not my fault!), then having to come back and caught up with another ex-workmate for drinks, I was more than happy to bid farewell to the work week.
Friday evening
We had movie night as usual on Friday night and to my astonishment, Iain came!!! He did say that he is frantically trying to save up for his own place, so he will only come every now and then from now on, which is better than nothing. We decided to see Allegiant but Sam wasn't excited about that, so he went home while the four of us went on to see the movie.
Allegiant was pretty good, although I forgot where we were up to in the last movie. This one was interesting in the sense that all the other movies were about Tris and her gang trying to get out of the Chicago. Spoiler warning before you go on!!! This one was about them finally getting out, only to find that life beyond the wall was not what they had expected, so they ended up wanting to go back into Chicago! The story line was probably more fragmented than I liked and I found myself mixing up this series with the Maze Runner series because they were based on the same premise. In the end, it was entertaining enough and there were plenty of subtexts that provoked thoughts and parallels. I can't wait to see the final movie.Saturday
Saturday was quite uneventful. I got up, had coffee with Sam, watched If You Are The One with him for a while, and went downstairs for lunch. As usual, I got a lot of work done while I was down there by myself.
The rest of the day was filled with Netflix movies and documentaries.
B and P are a bit older than us but it was fun to have dinner with them. They are very well travelled and it was fun listening to their stories and the way they verbally fought like an old married couple ... hang on, they are an old married couple. LOL. Sam is very fond of them as well. We had a great night with great food and great company. What more could you ask?
Sunday
Today was just as uneventful, albeit because I had done so much work the day before, I didn't have as much to do today. As usual, we had coffee together, watched an episode of If You Are the One and Orange is the New Black, before I went down to Wilde Kitchen for lunch.
When I got back, I quickly did a few chores, including ironing my shirts for the week, because Sam wanted to see The Witch at Dendy at Portside. I quite like Dendy, especially on Sunday afternoon when there were hardly anyone around.
As for the movie - well, let's say it was not amazing. Look, I understand the cinematic value of the movie - the ambience was well devised and executed but it was just so bloody slow! The glacial pace was giving me the yawns and disappointingly, you never really get to see the witch for long. It was all very arty and brooding but I think I am far too conditioned by Hollywood to want to see action and a quickly developing story line, together with sensational visual effects. Let's just say The Witch didn't really have much of those. In fact, there were times when I had to listen carefully to understand what the characters were saying because they all used old language like 'thou' and 'thee'. This one won't be in my Bluray collection.
So that was our weekend. It was good to finally spend some time alone with the boy, which seems like a rare occurrence these days. The good thing is both of us make an effort to do so, which is pretty good after having been together for 11 years.
Anyway, time to sign out. My diary looks horrific tomorrow. Eeek.

Comments
Post a Comment