Lawn bowling, cognac sipping, and care-free weekend

I thought this is traditionally the quieter time of the year for me but there was plenty happening at work last week. As my new financial year's resolution, I want to streamline things and make life less complicated and hectic for me, which means I want to stay out of internal politics and all the bureaucracy as much as I could. I don't think I am doing a very good job at that so far.

Friday

Even though our team had scheduled a team-building activity for Friday afternoon, which turned out to be lawn bowling (it was a surprise activity), I made an excuse to get there later than everyone else so I didn't have to actually lawn bowl myself. I think my team half-expected that anyway because they knew I wasn't exactly an outdoorsy kind of person. The excuse enabled me to pick up some RAM for my Drobo out near the airport before I came home, installed it, and then dragged myself to the lawn bowl place.

It wasn't such a bad way to spend the afternoon at all. The weather was gorgeous (and unseasonably warm) and it was kind of nice watching the team having fun together. I did take whoever wanted to get back to the office with me and when I got back, I did a bit more work before I met up with the boys for movie night, only that Jacob had piked, so it was only Ryan and Sam. Then we couldn't find a movie that we all wanted to watch, so Ryan had dinner with us, leaving Sam and me to see Lights Out afterwards.

One thing great about Sam and me being together is that we both like to be scared. And boy was Lights Out a well made scary movie! It was made by James Wan, who is of Saw and Insidious fame. Lights Out certainly didn't disappoint. Yes, I still got a bit annoyed by some of the scariness that was induced by sudden loud bangs and similar cheap surprise scares but the concept of the story was quite innovative and the entire movie was suitably creepy from beginning to end. I found myself sitting at the edge of my seat and jumped a few times. By the time we walked out, Sam raved about how good the movie was and I didn't disagree with him.

Saturday

As usual, Sam was already gone by the time I got up, so I took it easy, made myself a coffee, vegged out a bit, before cleaning up and going downstairs to Wilde Kitchen for lunch. I did some work while I was having lunch but didn't quite get everything done. I didn't stress myself too much though - if I am stressing at this time of the year, I wouldn't have a chance for the remainder of it!



After lunch, I drove over to Dan Murphy's over at Hamilton to grab a bottle of cognac since I finished lat bottle last weekend. When I got home, Sam was already back. We vegged out separately in the apartment until the evening. The Thai restaurant around the corner from us makes this amazing crispy duck dish; I had been craving for it for days, so we got that for dinner while we watched the Wolf Creek series on Stan together. I didn't really like the series but it was a good excuse for us to spend some time together.

So that was it - a very quiet night but I am quite used to quiet nights these days (although I wouldn't have minded if someone wanted to go dancing with me!).

Sunday

I got up quite late at about 10:30 am this morning - I took some melatonin before going to bed last night because I really wanted a deep sleep. It was such a good feeling when I got up.

Sam and I had coffee together and watched If You Are The One on SBS on Demand. Then I went down for lunch while I did a whole heap of work. I really don't begrudge working at Wilde Kitchen for some reason - I get so productive but it doesn't feel as stressful as working in the office, probably because I don't get interrupted every few minutes. The day was so beautiful, although I do feel kind of robbed because we have been getting spring weather already, smack bang in the middle of winter!





When I was just about to finish lunch though, I got a terrible email from a staff member - he told me his wife told him yesterday that she was leaving him. Given that he has been suffering from depression to the point of being suicidal, I called him up just to make sure he was okay and had someone to talk to during this difficult time. Whichever way you look at it, it's going to be a pretty tough time for him - he and his wife have about 4 kids.

The rest of the day and night is pretty uneventful. I couldn't even be bothered making dinner for us. After sipping cognac all afternoon, I just didn't feel like doing anything too demanding. I did iron for next week though but that was as much as I was prepared to do. LOL.

The work week is looking pretty full-on, so I am glad the weekend was so relaxing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

USA/Canada trip

Verbal acrobatics, group get-together, and thunderstorms

Labour intensive work, BYO lunch, and playing with toddler