Pre-order drama, another strategy session, and lots of haloumi
It was another one of those weeks when I felt like I undertook a lot of activities but I wasn't exactly productive. I struggled somewhat to fill my time sheets with enough chargeable hours to make me feel secure but I did generate additional work by proactively contacting my clients and seeing them.
Friday evening
I was pretty much done with work by 5 pm on Friday but to be honest, even if I wasn't done by then, I would have freed myself up because the pre-orders for the new iPhone went live! As usual, I was glued to three screens, refreshing the Apple website and the Apple Store apps on my iPhone and iPad intermittently starting from about 4:55 pm. Annoyingly, I couldn't get through until the website came online at about 5:05 pm. I quickly ordered my new iPhone and the delivery date was listed to be the new iPhone's launch date, so fingers crossed!
After all the excitement of getting the new phone, I went downstairs to meet up with the boys for movie night. Ryan, Sam, and I opted to see Sully and the other guys decided to see some animation movie. We had dinner at Grill'd and it was kind of nice to now have Phil and Cameron coming on Friday nights. Phil brought his brother who was visiting Brisbane too, so it was good to meet him. We didn't loiter around the city for too long after dinner though because our movie started at 8:40 pm.
Sully was an awesome movie. It would have been easy for me to like it because I love plane disaster movies, documentaries, etc. After all, I have watched every single episode of Aircrash Investigations multiple times and I can even name the flight number of some of the planes that went down. However, Sam loved the movie as well, which was saying something. As expected, the actual disaster sequence only occupied only a minor portion of the whole movie. I think the ultimate reason why the movie was so good was the characterisation of Sully - Tom Hanks was such a pro in portraying strong characters. Admittedly, they also injected a bit of drama in the movie to make it more interesting, probably at the expense of the NTSB. I heard after seeing the movie that the NTSB didn't like how they were portrayed in the movie and made a bit of a song and dance about it.
In the end, the real life story on which the movie was based was a celebration of Captain Sullenberger's feat of flying. He defeated all odds and saved 105 souls on board and nothing could take that away from him. Even more impressive was Captain Sullenberger's modesty. He could have bristled a number of times when he was attacked but the man's grace was incredibly admirable.
Saturday
I had to attend a strategy session for the organisation at which I volunteered on Saturday morning, so there was no sleep-in for me. The session was pretty intense and the fact that a couple of colleagues had to leave early didn't help either. I was a little annoyed by their lack of commitment but I also understood they were volunteering as well, so it was pretty hard to impose much standard on these people because they were already giving up 3 to 5 hours of their time every month to make their contribution to the organisation.

By about 1 pm, we were done and I headed back to Wilde Kitchen for lunch. I did some work while I was there and came home for some much needed R&R afterwards. Sam caught up with a friend for lunch and got home late in the afternoon. We didn't do much at all for the rest of the day (well, there was a momentary period when Sam was all over me but that was another story :P), not that the weather was brilliant out there - it was stormy and rainy and one of the weather warnings alarmed me at one stage, saying that there might be large hails accompanying some of the storm clouds. Thankfully, no water came into the apartment and there was no hail.
We chilled so much that we we didn't even have dinner, which was bad, because I found myself sipping cognac, followed by two glasses of wine. We watched a few movies together and I was naughty and pre-ordered a new Apple Watch Series 2 as well. Because I left it so late, this one wasn't going to come until October, so it's gonna be about a month's wait. As I was drinking on an empty stomach, I started feeling a bit hung over at about 10 pm and even fell asleep on the ottoman at one stage!
Sunday
Thankfully, the hangover didn't continue to this morning, so when I got out of bed, I felt fine and proceeded to have coffee and watched a few things on TV with Sam in the living room.


I then went down to meet up with Dale for lunch. I went early to do some work, only that my laptop was running out of juice. Just as well - Dale turned up not long after my laptop got down to 1% in power! As usual, Dale and I managed to gas bagged about absolutely everything. When we finished lunch, he popped into our apartment for a second so we could arrange a going out night in October, which coincided with one of my friend's birthday celebration bonanza.
After saying goodbye to Dale, Sam and I went to New Farm Coles to get a few things. It must have been the shortest grocery trips I had ever done with him, which was great. We pretty much went in and out and we were done.
I spent the rest of the day watching a few things on my study, trying to write a work article while I was at it. Then at about 5:30 pm, I ironed for next week, followed by making dinner for us. Yes, after having haloumi for lunch, I made haloumi for us for dinner, together with a yummy chicken stir fry.
So that was it, a fairly relaxing weekend apart from Saturday morning. Tomorrow is going to be a bit full-on though. I have to race from one meeting to another, followed by lunch with some clients/contacts to introduce them to each other, hopefully to also generate some future opportunities where we could work together as well. Hopefully, lunch is going to turn out well.
Friday evening
I was pretty much done with work by 5 pm on Friday but to be honest, even if I wasn't done by then, I would have freed myself up because the pre-orders for the new iPhone went live! As usual, I was glued to three screens, refreshing the Apple website and the Apple Store apps on my iPhone and iPad intermittently starting from about 4:55 pm. Annoyingly, I couldn't get through until the website came online at about 5:05 pm. I quickly ordered my new iPhone and the delivery date was listed to be the new iPhone's launch date, so fingers crossed!
After all the excitement of getting the new phone, I went downstairs to meet up with the boys for movie night. Ryan, Sam, and I opted to see Sully and the other guys decided to see some animation movie. We had dinner at Grill'd and it was kind of nice to now have Phil and Cameron coming on Friday nights. Phil brought his brother who was visiting Brisbane too, so it was good to meet him. We didn't loiter around the city for too long after dinner though because our movie started at 8:40 pm.
Sully was an awesome movie. It would have been easy for me to like it because I love plane disaster movies, documentaries, etc. After all, I have watched every single episode of Aircrash Investigations multiple times and I can even name the flight number of some of the planes that went down. However, Sam loved the movie as well, which was saying something. As expected, the actual disaster sequence only occupied only a minor portion of the whole movie. I think the ultimate reason why the movie was so good was the characterisation of Sully - Tom Hanks was such a pro in portraying strong characters. Admittedly, they also injected a bit of drama in the movie to make it more interesting, probably at the expense of the NTSB. I heard after seeing the movie that the NTSB didn't like how they were portrayed in the movie and made a bit of a song and dance about it.In the end, the real life story on which the movie was based was a celebration of Captain Sullenberger's feat of flying. He defeated all odds and saved 105 souls on board and nothing could take that away from him. Even more impressive was Captain Sullenberger's modesty. He could have bristled a number of times when he was attacked but the man's grace was incredibly admirable.
Saturday
I had to attend a strategy session for the organisation at which I volunteered on Saturday morning, so there was no sleep-in for me. The session was pretty intense and the fact that a couple of colleagues had to leave early didn't help either. I was a little annoyed by their lack of commitment but I also understood they were volunteering as well, so it was pretty hard to impose much standard on these people because they were already giving up 3 to 5 hours of their time every month to make their contribution to the organisation.
By about 1 pm, we were done and I headed back to Wilde Kitchen for lunch. I did some work while I was there and came home for some much needed R&R afterwards. Sam caught up with a friend for lunch and got home late in the afternoon. We didn't do much at all for the rest of the day (well, there was a momentary period when Sam was all over me but that was another story :P), not that the weather was brilliant out there - it was stormy and rainy and one of the weather warnings alarmed me at one stage, saying that there might be large hails accompanying some of the storm clouds. Thankfully, no water came into the apartment and there was no hail.
We chilled so much that we we didn't even have dinner, which was bad, because I found myself sipping cognac, followed by two glasses of wine. We watched a few movies together and I was naughty and pre-ordered a new Apple Watch Series 2 as well. Because I left it so late, this one wasn't going to come until October, so it's gonna be about a month's wait. As I was drinking on an empty stomach, I started feeling a bit hung over at about 10 pm and even fell asleep on the ottoman at one stage!
Sunday
Thankfully, the hangover didn't continue to this morning, so when I got out of bed, I felt fine and proceeded to have coffee and watched a few things on TV with Sam in the living room.
I then went down to meet up with Dale for lunch. I went early to do some work, only that my laptop was running out of juice. Just as well - Dale turned up not long after my laptop got down to 1% in power! As usual, Dale and I managed to gas bagged about absolutely everything. When we finished lunch, he popped into our apartment for a second so we could arrange a going out night in October, which coincided with one of my friend's birthday celebration bonanza.
After saying goodbye to Dale, Sam and I went to New Farm Coles to get a few things. It must have been the shortest grocery trips I had ever done with him, which was great. We pretty much went in and out and we were done.
So that was it, a fairly relaxing weekend apart from Saturday morning. Tomorrow is going to be a bit full-on though. I have to race from one meeting to another, followed by lunch with some clients/contacts to introduce them to each other, hopefully to also generate some future opportunities where we could work together as well. Hopefully, lunch is going to turn out well.
Comments
Post a Comment