Eastern spirtuality, preparations, and hanging out in our neighbourhood
I had a busy week but a lot of the stuff I did weren't immediately productive. Then there was this disagreement I had with a colleague at a meeting. I had a particular point of view and they had theirs, which made it a bit hard for me to agree with him upfront. I did mull over the issue at length afterwards and gathered some facts from a third person. I found myself coming up with some ideas to find some middle-ground, which also called for me surrendering my ego. I emailed my colleague on Saturday with those ideas, so this is an ongoing issue. I am more than prepared to compromise and come up with something that serves the organisation best, so let's see where we get to in the near future.
Friday evening
Sam was still not 100% (people at his work who also had the same symptoms all took 4 to 6 weeks to recover), so he didn't come to movie night. I did meet up with the boys in the usual manner and had dinner with them at Grill'd in the first instance before we did some loitering and finally saw Doctor Strange.
I wasn't sure if I would enjoy Doctor Strange at all, especially given that I didn't know what the movie was about. Judging from the promotional material, it didn't seem like the kind of movie I would enjoy. Having said that, it was Friday night when I don't make decisions on Friday nights, so I just went along with the group. I found the movie surprisingly enjoyable, not because of the superhero aspect o of it; rather, I really enjoyed some of the eastern philosophy and spirituality in the story and a few lines really spoke to me and were on point with a few things I had been working through, so there was a bit of a serendipity feel about the whole movie for me.
Saturday
I got up pretty early but that was after Sam had already left for his Kungfu class. I did a fair bit of stuffing around on the computer and by about noon, I took a shower, got dressed, and went downstairs to Wild Kitchen for lunch. I had to run a meeting and run a training course this coming week, so I worked on what I was going to say at the meeting while I was having lunch, as well as updated the notes I needed to do the presentation. I continued with what I was doing when I got home and got everything done by mid-afternoon. I felt very accomplished. Naturally, I celebrated by sipping some cognac.

Sam got home late in the afternoon. We could have driven all the way to Capalaba to catch up with the boys over a barbecue dinner but I just couldn't be bothered to go that far, so we ordered dinner through UberEats and stayed home instead.
We watched a few things together over dinner, including quite a few episodes of Very British Problems. The more we watched, the more I was convinced that I must have been British - well, I guess I kind of am, since I do have a British passport and all. But I found myself having so many characteristically British traits as we watched the show that was just uncanny. In any event, there was a lot of humour in the show and I found myself giggling all the way through.
I have been trying to go to bed at a decent hour even on the weekend because I don't want to get oversleeping headaches, so I headed to bed by about midnight.
Sunday
We got up early again. We had coffee together and watched yet another episode of Very British Problems. I then wanted to go downstairs for lunch while Sam didn't really want to do so, so I went by myself and did some more tinkering with my upcoming short speech.


After I came back upstairs and put my takeaway dinners in the fridge, Sam and I went to Chermie to get my Harry Potter autograph frames back. I had to get them to remake one of them because they made a mistake and did the second one in a different size from the first, even though they were going to sit side by side on top of my bookshelf. When Sam called the store earlier to find out if the frames were available for collection, he got fobbed off by this rude shop assistant, who was not the usual lady we dealt with there. I called again and gave her a piece of my mind and she seemed to get the message that I meant business. When we got there, she was as nice as pie.
When we got home, I went over to Source Grocers to get a few things, particularly because I really wanted some blueberries and I didn't want to drive all the way to Coles or Woolies. It was such a beautiful day and I really enjoyed wandering around our neighbourhood of which we don't seem to do enough.

When I got what I needed, I came home and started watching a whole bunch of movies and secretly ogling at the new Macbook Pro that was announced by Apple the other day on the Apple Store online. Yes, I really really want that Touch Pad. The only thing that is stopping me from ordering it is that my Macbook is ultra portable at 0.97 Kg whereas the Macbook Pro is about 1.37 Kg. Would 400 grams pose a noticeable difference when I have to carry the machine? At the moment, I can't really tell because Apple doesn't have it on display yet (Jake and I went to the Apple Store before the movie on Friday night because he is lusting over it as well).
The rest of the afternoon was very relaxing. I had some more cognac, answered a couple of client emails, and watched a few movies. I have purposely tried to be as relaxed as possible because I know the upcoming week will demand a lot of my energy.
In the evening, we warmed up some more of the chicken soup Sam's mum brought over last week (we froze some of it). We then had the cookies I bought from Wilde Kitchen for dessert. I was totally full after the soup and dessert and felt like Porky the Pig.
When I was cleaning up the Harry Potter frames (there were fingerprints all over them), to my annoyance, I noticed that they weren't exactly identical in size. One of them was slightly taller than the other. Seriously, I left both frames there, so how could they get it wrong? For $220, I thought they would have done a more professional job but I wasn't about to take them back and go through the whole rigmarole again. I just leaned the taller one at more of an angle so that they looked like they were of the same height. I would think twice if you want to get something framed at Artworks at Chermside. While Anthea at the store was nice and friendly enough, the actual quality of their work was a bit left to be desired.
So here we are, another weekend has gone by and I am now staring into an intense week ahead of me. I can't believe it's Melbourne Cup again on Tuesday. Next thing you know, it's going to be Christmas again.
Friday evening
I wasn't sure if I would enjoy Doctor Strange at all, especially given that I didn't know what the movie was about. Judging from the promotional material, it didn't seem like the kind of movie I would enjoy. Having said that, it was Friday night when I don't make decisions on Friday nights, so I just went along with the group. I found the movie surprisingly enjoyable, not because of the superhero aspect o of it; rather, I really enjoyed some of the eastern philosophy and spirituality in the story and a few lines really spoke to me and were on point with a few things I had been working through, so there was a bit of a serendipity feel about the whole movie for me.Saturday
I got up pretty early but that was after Sam had already left for his Kungfu class. I did a fair bit of stuffing around on the computer and by about noon, I took a shower, got dressed, and went downstairs to Wild Kitchen for lunch. I had to run a meeting and run a training course this coming week, so I worked on what I was going to say at the meeting while I was having lunch, as well as updated the notes I needed to do the presentation. I continued with what I was doing when I got home and got everything done by mid-afternoon. I felt very accomplished. Naturally, I celebrated by sipping some cognac.
Sam got home late in the afternoon. We could have driven all the way to Capalaba to catch up with the boys over a barbecue dinner but I just couldn't be bothered to go that far, so we ordered dinner through UberEats and stayed home instead.
We watched a few things together over dinner, including quite a few episodes of Very British Problems. The more we watched, the more I was convinced that I must have been British - well, I guess I kind of am, since I do have a British passport and all. But I found myself having so many characteristically British traits as we watched the show that was just uncanny. In any event, there was a lot of humour in the show and I found myself giggling all the way through.
I have been trying to go to bed at a decent hour even on the weekend because I don't want to get oversleeping headaches, so I headed to bed by about midnight.
Sunday
We got up early again. We had coffee together and watched yet another episode of Very British Problems. I then wanted to go downstairs for lunch while Sam didn't really want to do so, so I went by myself and did some more tinkering with my upcoming short speech.
After I came back upstairs and put my takeaway dinners in the fridge, Sam and I went to Chermie to get my Harry Potter autograph frames back. I had to get them to remake one of them because they made a mistake and did the second one in a different size from the first, even though they were going to sit side by side on top of my bookshelf. When Sam called the store earlier to find out if the frames were available for collection, he got fobbed off by this rude shop assistant, who was not the usual lady we dealt with there. I called again and gave her a piece of my mind and she seemed to get the message that I meant business. When we got there, she was as nice as pie.
When we got home, I went over to Source Grocers to get a few things, particularly because I really wanted some blueberries and I didn't want to drive all the way to Coles or Woolies. It was such a beautiful day and I really enjoyed wandering around our neighbourhood of which we don't seem to do enough.
When I got what I needed, I came home and started watching a whole bunch of movies and secretly ogling at the new Macbook Pro that was announced by Apple the other day on the Apple Store online. Yes, I really really want that Touch Pad. The only thing that is stopping me from ordering it is that my Macbook is ultra portable at 0.97 Kg whereas the Macbook Pro is about 1.37 Kg. Would 400 grams pose a noticeable difference when I have to carry the machine? At the moment, I can't really tell because Apple doesn't have it on display yet (Jake and I went to the Apple Store before the movie on Friday night because he is lusting over it as well).
The rest of the afternoon was very relaxing. I had some more cognac, answered a couple of client emails, and watched a few movies. I have purposely tried to be as relaxed as possible because I know the upcoming week will demand a lot of my energy.
In the evening, we warmed up some more of the chicken soup Sam's mum brought over last week (we froze some of it). We then had the cookies I bought from Wilde Kitchen for dessert. I was totally full after the soup and dessert and felt like Porky the Pig.
So here we are, another weekend has gone by and I am now staring into an intense week ahead of me. I can't believe it's Melbourne Cup again on Tuesday. Next thing you know, it's going to be Christmas again.
Comments
Post a Comment